Current Mailing Address

Current Mailing Address

Elder Howard Derek McKeon
Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission
Rua Caa-Acu, 229
Belenzinho
03171-020 Sao Paulo - SP
Brazil

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Whatever it takes to save souls...

Hi Everyone,

Well this was kind of a tough week....

It was hard because our baptism fell through and a bunch of our appointments fell through, which meant one thing.... CONTACTS!!! And I boy do I loooooooove making contacts!!!! It's very discouraging when you walk up to someone with such an important message and then you just get a gruff look, a shrug of the shoulders, and a "Não, quero não..." 

You know that this message will only change their life for the better, but they just dont want to listen. It's so frustrating! Our baptism was going to be a 12-year-old kid named João. He is so great! He is super interested in the church and loves learing more about it, but his mom wouldn't let him get baptized until she knew that he knew that this was what he really wanted. The rest of the ward likes him, but it's just his mom holding us up... but what are you going to do? FAST, PRAYER, STUDY, AND DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO SAVE SOULS!! Sometimes it's really hard to not get so mad at people, but then I have to step back and remember that we are asking them to change their lives (for the better), but they don't always see it like that. 

Anyways, Elder Padilla and I have been working so hard, walking and talking to anyone and everyone. Our Ward Mission Leader was released and our Bishop went on a trip for 3 weeks, so things are a little tough... but we'll get over them! We as missionaries have an iron stomach, calloused feet, and the patience of Job, so we can do anything!

This week was hard, but my old companion, Elder Squires gave me this little book his aunt sent him in a package called, "The Missionaries book of little inspirational stories," and there is this one called, "Missionaries Gethsemane," And boy did it hit the nail on the head about this past week..

You're on a mission and things seem tough;
Doors are slammed with voices gruff;
Your companion refused to do his share
You feel discouraged and even despair.
You question your testimony and belief in God;
You wonder about the path you've trod.
Memories of pleasure dance in your brain;
A siren's song, an old refrain;
"The work is hard," and with a taunt,
Whispers, "Not as He wills, but as you want."
You tire of rules and feet worn to the bone,
And suddenly decide you want to go home.
You'll never know if you say goodbye,
What might happen if you stay and try,
To follow the rules and do your best,
To serve the Lord and pass your test.
Where do you think that you would be,
If Christ, in the Garden of Gethsemane;
His soul in torment, a trial of fire.
Had selected not duty before desire?
He set the pattern for you and me,
To meet our own Gethsemane.
From boy, to man, to Elder with fire,
Comes only when duty can master desire.

It hit me like a ton of bricks....I went and hit my knees for what seemed like forever to help me get through this hard time. It helped so much.

I know that there will be more weeks like this in the future. I knew from the beginning it was never going to be easy, but I'm glad that I get to have this experience in my life and that I can grow so much from it.

Well, good news is that we have interviews with Presidente Ferrin and I love this man so much!! He is a great mission president and he loves each and every one of us, so i can't wait to talk with him! 

The 49'ers lost huh? Dang it.....I was betting with another American here that they were going to win!! Well you can't win em all can ya? I'm learning that the hard way out here!

Mom, the ankle is fine, I am borrowing a brace from a missionary in our zone, and its working great. All I need is time and it will be good as new.

I love you all and I miss you so much!


Elder McKeon

No comments:

Post a Comment