Current Mailing Address

Current Mailing Address

Elder Howard Derek McKeon
Brazil Sao Paulo East Mission
Rua Caa-Acu, 229
Belenzinho
03171-020 Sao Paulo - SP
Brazil

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dedicated to Mom...

This is Derek's email from this past week.  It was Mom's birthday, so he sent a little shout out her way:

(Elder McKeon's home)

First things first, Mom, how was your birthday?  Were you treated like the queen that you are?  I am sure you were because we love you so much!

(Elder McKeon wrote "I love my area!")

Ladies and gentlemen, this email goes out to a wonderful lady I am blessed to call, Mom...

(Not sure what this is...)

Ever since I can remember, you've been there for me! Yesterday and today are very hard because I was thinking about you and your birthday and how I wanted to be there to celebrate it with you.  Yesterday was our Stake Conference so I had some time to think about everything you have done for me. Every morning I knew I would have a lunch in the fridge with my name on it with everything that I liked to eat.  I knew that if I forgot something and was at school, I could give mom a call and she would be there as fast as she could to save the day.  When I skinned my knee, she was the first one to say, "Shhhhhh, you're ok, you're ok, you're not going to die, I'm here and ill fix you up..." Every time she would help me patch myself up with love and care and then make sure that I was okay.  She is the greatest care giver, doctor, nurse, chef, teacher, mediator, and put all those things together and what do you get? You don't just get any mom...you get MY MOM, Heather Gale McKeon, the sweetest and most compassionate person I have ever met.  She would help you in a second if you needed it and in anyway she could, and if she couldn't she would tell you things of encouragement to lift your spirits. She has more Christ-like attributes than I care to count and I know that I have the best example in her.  I strive to do the things she would do.  I try to take all of the things she has taught me (which are too many to count) and apply them in my life.  And like I was writing Carlie´s birthday email, I am again balling like the baby that I am.  You know what, I don't care because I am writing and thinking about my mom.  I love you with all that I have and more, you are the most amazing person ever and everyone needs to be like my mom so the world can be a better place to live.  You have helped me live my life so that I am worthy to serve a mission for our Lord, Jesus Christ and I am and will be forever grateful for that.  I love you and miss you so very very much, and I know that your keeping the family happy, healthy and close to Heavenly Father!

(Elder McKeon and Elder Alves dos Santos on division trying to keep cool)


Now that I can see the screen through cleared eyes, let me talk about my week. It was a pretty hard week.  We had Stake Conference this past Sunday.  On Saturday, we were running around trying to organize rides for all of our investigators.  It was late at night and pouring rain outside, it was 9:30 at night and we were waiting outside of our bishop's home because no one was answering their phones. I was cold, wet, hungry and so very tired.  I just wanted to go home, make some soup and go to bed. But I had the feeling that I needed to pray and stop thinking about me.  I bowed my head and offered up a silent prayer that everything would be alright and that we could get rides together for our investigators and be able to talk with our bishop.  Not 30 seconds later, our bishop pulled into his driveway and we he absolutely agreed to help with transportation!  

(This is a place called Favela.  Elder McKeon said it is a pretty rough neighborhood)

Then we walked to another member's home (still raining) and same thing, he was not answering his phone either, the cars weren't there and no one was answering the door.  So I thought "you need to pray again" I did and just as before, he pulled into the driveway!  I was so thankful for that!  We took care of the rest of the rides and this experience has made my testimony grow so much.  So yesterday we got to pick all of the people up and out of the 11 people we had planned and "confirmed" to pick up, only 2 came....  I was kind of expecting that but its still hard to understand.  You work so hard and then everything just doesn't work out according to the plan.  I have grown accustomed to that but will work to help make it better.  What a miracle of prayer though!  I love every minute of this work and I cant wait to talk to you guys on Christmas just to share with you additional stories that are too long to type!

Love,

Elder McKeon

No comments:

Post a Comment